1. Describe Allen’s personal experience of affirmative action. Was it positive, negative, or something in between?
2. Summarize the different forms of affirmative action that Allen outlines.
3. How does Allen explain the experience of African Americans who are recruited for diversity purposes but who may feel that there is still a need to remedy past injustices?
4. How does Allen defend the practice of affirmative action?
5. What does Allen think about the demands of applied ethical reflection and what you should do if you are wrong or if your hands are dirty?
6. How does Allen’s explanation of the need to apologize and make reparations if affirmative action is unjust connect with the need for white Americans to apologize and make reparations for past injustice directed at African Americans?