1. What is the basic natural law assumption that guides Steffen’s discussion of the death penalty?
2. Why does Steffen view the death penalty as an exception and where does Steffen place the burden of proof for making that exception?
3. How does Steffen explain the fact that we execute so few murderers in the United States?
4. What are the nine criteria that Steffen outlines for the justification of the death penalty?
5. What does Steffen mean when he states that his theory of just execution is based upon a common moral agreement, which creates a common ground for debate?
6. What is Steffen’s purpose in explaining Pope John Paul II’s criticism of the death penalty?
7. Explain why Steffen concludes that current execution practice does not live up to the standards of the theory.