Question: Afew years ago PeopleSoft announced that its second quarter net
Afew years ago PeopleSoft announced that its second- quarter net income was down by nearly 70 percent. The company’s CEO attributed the poor performance to an ongoing hostile takeover battle against its rival, Oracle (PeopleSoft has reportedly spent over $ 10.5 million to defend itself). Analysts, however, were quick to note that PeopleSoft’s revenue estimates were adjusted downward from approximately $ 680 million to $ 660 million. Suppose that Oracle perceives that there is a 70 percent probability that PeopleSoft’s decline in net income is merely the transitory result of efforts to fight the takeover. In this case, the present value of PeopleSoft’s stream of profits is $ 10 billion. However, Oracle perceives that there is a 30 percent chance that PeopleSoft’s lower net income figures stem from long- term structural changes in the demand for PeopleSoft’s services, and that the present value of its profit stream is only $ 2 billion. You are a decision-maker at Oracle and know that your current takeover bid is $ 7 billion. You have just learned that a rival bidder—SAP—perceives that there is an 80 percent probability that the present value of PeopleSoft’s stream of profits is $ 10 billion and a 20 percent probability of being only $ 2 billion. Based on this information, should you increase your bid or hold firm to your $ 7 billion offer? Explain carefully.
Answer to relevant QuestionsA firm’s current profits are $ 400,000. These profits are expected to grow indefinitely at a constant annual rate of 4 percent. If the firm’s opportunity cost of funds is 6 percent, determine the value of the firm.a. The ...You are the human resources manager for a famous retailer, and you are trying to convince the president of the company to change the structure of employee compensation. Currently, the company’s retail sales staff is paid a ...Suppose demand and supply are given by Qd = 60 - P and Qs = P - 20. a. What are the equilibrium quantity and price in this market? b. Determine the quantity demanded, the quantity supplied, and the magnitude of the surplus ...A monopolist earns $ 30 million annually and will maintain that level of profit indefinitely, provided that no other firm enters the market. However, if another firm enters the market, the monopolist will earn $ 30 million ...You are the manager in a market composed of eight firms, each of which has a 12.5 percent market share. In addition, each firm has a strong financial position and is located within a 100- mile radius of its competitors. a. ...
Post your question