Question

Boxton Medical Supply has applied for a loan. First National Bank has requested a budgeted balance sheet as of April 30, and a combined cash budget for April. As Boxton Medical Supply’s controller, you have assembled the following information:
a. March 31 equipment balance, $ 52,200; accumulated depreciation, $ 41,500
b. April capital expenditures of $ 42,200 budgeted for cash purchase of equipment
c. April depreciation expense, $ 500
d. Cost of goods sold, 45% of sales
e. Other April operating expenses, including income tax, total $ 13,000, 30% of which will be paid in cash and the remainder accrued at April 30
f. March 31 owners’ equity, $ 93,000
g. March 31 cash balance, $ 40,500
h. April budgeted sales, $ 90,000, 60% of which is for cash. Of the remaining 40%, half will be collected in April and half in May.
i. April cash collections on March sales, $ 29,700
j. April cash payments of March 31 liabilities incurred for March purchases of inventory, $ 17,000
k. March 31 inventory balance, $ 29,100
l. April purchases of inventory, $ 10,000 for cash and $ 36,200 on credit. Half of the credit purchases will be paid in April and half in May.

Requirements
1. Prepare the budgeted balance sheet for Boxton Medical Supply at April 30. Show separate computations for cash, inventory, and owners’ equity balances.
2. Prepare the combined cash budget for April.
3. Suppose Boxton Medical Supply has become aware of more efficient (and more ­expensive) equipment than it budgeted for purchase in April. What is the total amount of cash available for equipment purchases in April, before financing, if the minimum desired ending cash balance is $ 19,000? (For this requirement, disregard the $ 42,200 initially budgeted for equipment purchases.)
4. Before granting a loan to Boxton Medical Supply, First National Bank asks for a sensitivity analysis assuming that April sales are only $ 60,000 rather than the $ 90,000 originally bud-geted. (While the cost of goods sold will change, assume that purchases, depreciation, and the other operating expenses will remain the same as in the earlier requirements.)
a. Prepare a revised budgeted balance sheet for Boxton Medical Supply, showing separate computations for cash, inventory, and owners’ equity balances.
b. Suppose Boxton Medical Supply has a minimum desired cash balance of $ 18,000. Will the company need to borrow cash in April?
c. In this sensitivity analysis, sales declined by 33 1/ 3% ($ 30,000 ÷ $ 90,000). Is the decline in expenses and income more or less than 33 1/ 3%? Explain.




$1.99
Sales20
Views614
Comments0
  • CreatedAugust 27, 2014
  • Files Included
Post your question
5000