Question: In the example we used to introduce combinations you were
In the example we used to introduce combinations, you were choosing four of five friends to ride with you in your car. By computing 5C4 we discovered that there are fve distinct combinations of four friends that you might select. Now consider a slight variation: In how many different ways could you select one of your five friends to exclude from the car? Compare your answer to the 5C4 result and comment on the connection.
Answer to relevant QuestionsIn Demonstration Exercise 4.16, we determined that there are 210 different subgroups of size six that could be produced from the pool of ten applicants. Suppose the applicant pool is made up of three women and seven men. In ...From a bin containing 15 numbered balls, five will be chosen randomly. Each ball has a different number—1 to 15—on it. Anyone who has a ticket with the sequence of numbers—in the order of selection—on the five balls ...The table below is from Exercise 4. It shows six stocks traded on either the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) or the NASDAQ Exchange. Also shown is an indication of whether the stock gained or lost value by the close of a ...As project manager, you estimate that there’s a 50% probability that your current research program will be completed within the next month. You concede that it is 30% likely the program will take two months, and 20% likely ...As a writer for DailyObserver.com, you are at a political gathering. Seventy percent o those in attendance are Republicans; the remaining 30% are Democrats. According to best estimates, 90% of all Republicans favor ...
Post your question