Indicate whether each of the following statements is true or false by writing T or F in the answer column.
1. A contract in which an employee agrees not to work for a competitor for a reasonable period of time is unenforceable. 1. _________
2. A buyer who purchases a business from a seller receives title to the physical assets but does not gain the goodwill of the business. 2. _________
3. A complex, highly specialized accounting and budgeting software program not intended for widespread distribution would likely be considered a trade secret. 3. _________
4. There is no set time limit on the legal protection available for trade secrets. 4. _________
5. It is illegal for a software producer to require that a user register his or her ownership with the producer. 5. _________
6. Ownership of a trademark is typically noted by using the letter O in a circle. 6. _________
7. Trademark registrations are issued by the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office of the Department of Commerce. 7. _________
8. The Green Giant is an example of a trade name. 8. _________
9. Words or terms that become a common part of the language are referred to as generic.
10. The law relating to trademarks applies equally to the law relating to domain names on the web. 10. _________
11. The Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999 makes cyber-squatting illegal even if the cybersquatter acts in good faith. 11. _________
12. Since a copyright covers only an expression in words, works of art cannot be protected under copyright law. 12. _________
13. An infringement is a special form of design patent. 13. _________
14. A person who profits from unauthorized use of a patented invention is liable to the patent holder for all profits resulting from such unauthorized use and for any other penalties provided by the patent laws. 14. _________
15. The courts have ruled that genetically engineered life forms are not patentable. 15. _________