Indicate whether each of the following statements is true or false by writing T or F in the answer column.
1. Individuals making statements in chat rooms have an absolute right to privacy. 1. ___________
3. Employees have no reasonable expectation of privacy while they are at work; hence employers may read their e-mail without first receiving the employee’s consent. 3. ___________
4. Internet service providers have the legal right to monitor e-mail without the subscriber’s consent. 4. ___________
5. Employees who transfer money from their employer’s account into their own account without authorization can be prosecuted for the crime of embezzlement. 5. ___________
6. There are numerous states, but no federal, regulations covering the misuse of computers and data. 6. ___________
7. In order to violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, an individual must act with intent. 7. ___________
8. Since most forms of gambling are illegal, most forms of online gambling are also illegal.
9. Offshore gambling refers to foreign citizens placing bets in casinos located within the United States. 9. ___________
10. Slander is a spoken, and libel is a written, form of defamation. 10. ___________
11. A newspaper that prints a story about a public figure, with knowledge that the story is untrue, could be held liable for defamation. 11. ___________
12. The law mandates that all Internet service providers require subscribers to use their true names when entering cyberspace. 12. ___________
13. Pictures and words are legally obscene if they depict sexual conduct in a manner that is patently offensive under contemporary community standards, appeal to the prurient interest, and, taken as a whole, lack serious literary, scientific, artistic, or political value. 13. ___________
14. When an individual purchases an item from a brick- and- mortar company and provides his or her e-mail address to the seller, the individual is implicitly consenting to the receipt of e-mail solicitations. 14. ___________
15. Spam is illegal in the United States. 15. ___________