Information related to Kerber Co. is presented below.
1. On April 5, purchased merchandise from Wilkes Company for $23,000, terms 2/10, net/30, FOB shipping point.
2. On April 6, paid freight costs of $900 on merchandise purchased from Wilkes.
3. On April 7, purchased equipment on account for $26,000.
4. On April 8, returned damaged merchandise to Wilkes Company and was granted a $3,000 credit for returned merchandise.
5. On April 15, paid the amount due to Wilkes Company in full.
(a) Prepare the journal entries to record these transactions on the books of Kerber Co. under a perpetual inventory system.
(b) Assume that Kerber Co. paid the balance due to Wilkes Company on May 4 instead of April 15. Prepare the journal entry to record this payment.