Question: It is known that steroids give users an advantage in
It is known that steroids give users an advantage in athletic contests, but it is also known that steroid use is banned in athletes. As a result, a steroid testing program has been instituted and athletes are randomly tested. The test procedures are believed to be equally effective on both users and nonusers and claim to be 98% accurate. If 90% of the athletes affected by this testing program are clean, what is the probability that the next athlete tested will be a user and fail the test?
Answer to relevant QuestionsJuan lives in a large city and commutes to work daily by subway or by taxi. He takes the subway 80% of the time because it costs less, and he takes a taxi the other 20% of the time. When taking the subway, he arrives at work ...Suppose the rules for the carnival game in Example 4.14 are modified so that the marble drawn each time is returned to the box before the next drawing. a. Redraw the tree diagram drawn for Exercise 4.79, listing the ...The probability of A is 0.5.The conditional probability that A occurs given that B occurs is 0.25. The conditional probability that B occurs given that A occurs is 0.2. a. What is the probability that B occurs? b. What is ...An aquarium at a pet store contains 40 orange swordfish (22 females and 18 males) and 28 green swordtails (12 females and 16 males).You randomly net one of the fish. a. What is the probability that it is an orange ...A doctor knows from experience that 10% of the patients to whom she gives a certain drug will have undesirable side effects. Find the probabilities that among the 10 patients to whom she gives the drug: a. At most two will ...
Post your question