Question: Last year Lory Corporation a land development company acquired land
Last year, Lory Corporation, a land development company, acquired land and construction equipment from its sole shareholder in a § 351 transaction. At the time, the land had a basis of $790,000 and a fair market value of $650,000, and the equipment had a basis of $130,000 and a fair market value of $300,000. The assets were transferred to Lory Corporation for the purpose of developing the land and constructing a residential home community. However, the residential housing market suffered a steep decline in the current year, and as a result of financial difficulties, Lory Corporation was forced to sell its assets and liquidate. Pursuant to a plan of liquidation adopted during the year, Lory sold the land to an unrelated party for its current fair market value of $500,000. What amount of loss, if any, is recognized by Lory Corporation on the sale of the land?
Answer to relevant QuestionsLast year, a shareholder transferred land (basis of $650,000, fair market value of $575,000) to Roadrunner Corporation in a § 351 transaction. This was the only property transferred to Roadrunner at that time. During the ...The stock in Ivory Corporation is owned by Gold Corporation (80%) and Imelda (20%). Gold Corporation purchased its shares in Ivory nine years ago at a cost of $650,000, and Imelda purchased her shares in Ivory four years ago ...Your firm has a new individual client, Carla Navarro, who has been assigned to you for preparation of the current year's tax return. Upon review of Carla's tax returns from prior years, you notice that she reported a large ...Hosha exchanges all of her Leaf stock for Petal stock plus $5,000 cash. The exchange is pursuant to a tax-free reorganization. Hosha paid $25,000 for the Leaf stock five years ago. The Petal stock received by Hosha has an ...Jed acquired 25% of the stock of Alpha (basis of $100,000) 12 years ago, and the other 75% was purchased by Zia (basis of $400,000) three years ago. Alpha enters into a tax-free consolidation with Beta, in which Jed will ...
Post your question