Manufacturing uses normal costing for its job- costing system, which has two direct- cost categories (direct materials and direct manufacturing labor) and one indirect- cost category (manufacturing overhead). The following information is obtained for 2012:
• Total manufacturing costs, $ 8,350,000
• Manufacturing overhead allocated, $ 3,900,000 (allocated at a rate of 250% of direct manufacturing labor costs)
• Work- in- process inventory on January 1, 2012, $ 390,000
• Cost of finished goods manufactured, $ 8,040,000
1. Use information in the first two bullet points to calculate
(a) Direct manufacturing labor costs in 2012 and
(b) Cost of direct materials used in 2012.
2. Calculate the ending work- in- process inventory on December 31, 2012.