Showing 11 to 20 of 361 Questions
  • (a) Find the mean and variance in Exercise 5.64 of the random variable X representing the number of persons among 2000 that die from the respiratory infection.(b) According to Chebyshev's theorem, there is a probability of at least 3/4 that the number of persons to die among 2000 persons infected will fall within what interval?

    0
    309
  • (a) Find the mean and variance in Exercise 5.65 of the random variable X representing the number of persons among 10,000 who make an error in preparing their income tax returns.(b) According to Chebyshev's theorem, there is a probability of at least 8/9 that the number of persons who make errors in preparing their income tax returns among

    0
    243
  • (a) In Exercise 5.9, how many of the 15 trucks would you expect to have blowouts?(b) According to Chebyshev's theorem, there is a probability of at least 3/4 that the number of trucks among the next 15 that have blowouts will fall in what interval?

    1
    520
  • (a) Suppose that you throw 4 dice, probability that you get at least one 1. Find (b) Suppose that you throw 2 dice 24 times. Find the probability that you get at least one (1, 1), that is, you roll "snake;-eyes." [Note: The probability of part (a) is greater than the probability of part (b).]

    0
    245
  • (Use computer) Assume that X is a hyper-geometric random variable with N = 50, S = 20, and n = 5. Calculate the following probabilities.a. P(X = 2)b. P(X ≥ 2)c. P(X ≤ 3)

    0
    2
  • A basketball player is fouled while attempting to make a basket and receives two free throws. The opposing coach believes there is a 55% chance that the player will miss both shots, a 25% chance that he will make one of the shots, and a 20% chance that he will make both shots.a. Construct the appropriate probability distribution.b. What i

    1
    25
  • A car rental agency at a local airport has available 5 Fords, 7 Chevrolets, 4 Dodges, 3 Hondas, and 4 Toyotas. If the agency randomly selects 9 of these cars to chauffeur delegates from the airport to the downtown convention center, find the probability that 2 Fords. 3 Chevrolets, 1 Dodge, 1 Honda, and 2 Toyotas are used.

    2
    389
  • A certain area of the eastern United States is, on average, hit by 6 hurricanes a year. Find the probability that for a given year that area will be hit by(a) Fewer than 4 hurricanes;(b) Anywhere from 6 to 8 hurricanes.

    2
    453
  • A certain type of tomato seed germinates 90% of the time. A backyard farmer planted 25 seeds.a. What is the probability that exactly 20 germinate?b. What is the probability that 20 or more germinate?c. What is the probability that 24 or fewer germinate?d. What is the expected number of seeds that germinate?

    0
    2
  • A committee of 40 members consists of 24 men and 16 women. A subcommittee consisting of ten randomly selected members will be formed.a. What are the expected number of men and women in the subcommittee?b. What is the probability that at least half of the members in the subcommittee will be women?

    0
    2
Suggested Freelancers
    Loading Freelancers