Phoenix Partners provides management consulting services to government and corporate clients. Phoenix has two support departments— administrative services (AS) and information systems (IS)— and two operating departments— government consulting (GOVT) and corporate consulting ( CORP). For the first quarter of 2012, Phoenix’s cost records indicate the following:
1. Allocate the two support departments’ costs to the two operating departments using the following methods:
a. Direct method
b. Step- down method (allocate AS first) c. Step- down method (allocate IS first)
2. Compare and explain differences in the support- department costs allocated to each operating department.
3. What approaches might a manager use to decide the sequence in which to allocate support departments when using the step- down method?
4. Allocate the two support departments’ costs to the two operating departments using the reciprocal method. Use
(a) Linear equations and
(b) Repeated iterations.
5. Which of the methods described in requirements 1 and 4 do you prefer? Explain briefly.