Presented below is information related to Chung Co.
1. On April 5, purchased merchandise from Jose Company for $21,000, terms 2/10, net/30, FOB shipping point.
2. On April 6, paid freight costs of $800 on merchandise purchased from Jose.
3. On April 7, purchased equipment on account from Winker Mfg. Co. for $26,000.
4. On April 8, returned merchandise, which cost $4,000, to Jose Company.
5. On April 15, paid the amount due to Jose Company in full.
(a) Prepare the journal entries to record these transactions on the books of Chung Co. using a periodic inventory system.
(b) Assume that Chung Co. paid the balance due to Jose Company on May 4 instead of April 15. Prepare the journal entry to record this payment.