Repeat Problem 68 when the proportion of the population having a value of λ less than x is equal to 1 − e−x.
Problem 68
The number of accidents that a person has in a given year is a Poisson random variable with mean λ. However, suppose that the value of λ changes from person to person, being equal to 2 for 60 percent of the population and 3 for the other 40 percent. If a person is chosen at random, what is the probability that he will have (a) 0 accidents and (b) exactly 3 accidents in a certain year? What is the conditional probability that he will have 3 accidents in a given year, given that he had no accidents the preceding year?

  • CreatedOctober 22, 2015
  • Files Included
Post your question