Sachs Brands' defined benefit pension plan specifies annual retirement benefits equal to: 1.6% × service years × final year's salary, payable at the end of each year. Angela Davenport was hired by Sachs at the beginning of 1997 and is expected to retire at the end of 2031 after 35 years' service. Her retirement is expected to span 18 years. Davenport's salary is $90,000 at the end of 2011 and the company's actuary projects her salary to be $240,000 at retirement. The actuary's discount rate is 7%.
1. What is the company's projected benefit obligation at the beginning of 2011 (after 14 years' service) with respect to Davenport?
2. Estimate by the projected benefits approach the portion of Davenport's annual retirement payments attributable to 2011 service.
3. What is the company's service cost for 2011 with respect to Davenport?
4. What is the company's interest cost for 2011 with respect to Davenport?
5. Combine your answers to requirements 1, 3, and 4 to determine the company's projected benefit obligation at the end of 2011 (after 15 years' service) with respect to Davenport.