Question

Sheet Printing of Whitehorse has applied for a loan. The Royal Bank of Canada has requested a budgeted balance sheet at April 30 and a combined cash budget for April. As
Sheet Printing’s controller, you have assembled the following information:
a. March 31 equipment balance, $52,600; accumulated depreciation, $41,700.
b. April capital expenditures of $42,000 budgeted for cash purchase of equipment.
c. April depreciation expense, $900.
d. Cost of goods sold, 65% of sales.
e. Other April operating expenses, including income tax, total $14,000, 20% of which will be paid in cash and the remainder accrued at April 30.
f. March 31 owners’ equity, $91,700.
g. March 31 cash balance, $40,100.
h. April budgeted sales, $84,000, 60% of which is for cash; of the remaining 40%, half will be collected in April and half in May.
i. April cash collections on March sales, $29,200.
j. April cash payments of March 31 liabilities incurred for March purchases of inventory, $17,600.
k. March 31 inventory balance, $29,100.
l. April purchases of inventory, $10,300 for cash and $36,300 on credit. Half of the credit purchases will be paid in April and half in May.
Requirements
1. Prepare the budgeted balance sheet for Sheet Printing at April 30. Show separate computations for cash, inventory, and owners’ equity balances.
2. Prepare the combined cash budget for April.
3. Suppose Sheet Printing has become aware of more efficient (and more expensive) equipment than it budgeted for purchase in April. What is the total amount of cash available for equipment purchases in April, before financing, if the minimum desired ending cash balance is $14,000? (For this requirement, disregard the $42,000 initially budgeted for equipment purchases.)
4. Before granting a loan to Sheet Printing, the Royal Bank of Canada asks for a sensitivity analysis assuming that April sales are only $56,000 rather than the $84,000 originally budgeted. (While the cost of goods sold will change, assume that purchases, depreciation, and the other operating expenses will remain the same as in the earlier requirements.)
a. Prepare a revised budgeted balance sheet for Sheet Printing, showing separate computations for cash, inventory, and owners’ equity balances.
b. Suppose Sheet Printing has a minimum desired cash balance of $16,000. Will the company need to borrow cash in April?
c. In this sensitivity analysis, sales declined by 33 1/3% ($28,000/$84,000). Is the decline in expenses and income more or less than 33 1/3%? Explain.


$1.99
Sales0
Views113
Comments0
  • CreatedApril 30, 2015
  • Files Included
Post your question
5000