The following information is available for Campus Book Sales’ sales on account and accounts receivable:
Accounts receivable balance, January 1, 2013 ....... $ 92,500
Allowance for doubtful accounts, January 1, 2013 ...... 6,450
Sales on account, 2013 ................ 685,000
Collection on accounts receivable, 2013 .......... 691,000
After several collection attempts, Campus Book Sales wrote off $5,100 of accounts that could not be collected. Campus Book Sales estimates that 4 percent of the ending accounts receivable balance will be uncollectible.
a. Compute the following amounts:
(1) Using the allowance method, the amount of uncollectible accounts expense for 2013.
(2) Net realizable value of receivables at the end of 2013.
b. Record the general journal entries to:
(1) Record sales on account for 2013.
(2) Record cash collections from accounts receivable for 2013.
(3) Write off the accounts that are not collectible.
(4) Record the estimated uncollectible accounts expense for 2013.
c. Explain why the uncollectible accounts expense amount is different from the amount that was written off as uncollectible.