Question: The genome of the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae consists of one
The genome of the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae consists of one double- stranded DNA molecule that contains 2220 kilobase pairs. Calculate the length of this DNA molecule in centimeters. If 85% of this DNA molecule is made up of the open reading frames of genes encoding proteins, and the average protein is 300 amino acids long, how many protein- encoding genes does Neisseria have? What kind of information do you think might be present in the other 15% of the DNA?
Answer to relevant QuestionsCompare and contrast the activity of DNA and RNA polymerases. What is the function of each? What are the substrates of each? What is the main difference in the behavior of the two polymerases? Describe a habitat where you would find a psychrophile, and one where you would find a hyperthermophile. How can these organisms survive under such harsh conditions? Describe the procedure for obtaining the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) for a chemical that is bacteriocidal for Escherichia coli. Calculate g and k in a growth experiment in which a medium was inoculated with 5 x 106 cells/ ml of Escherichia coli cells and, following a 1-h lag, grew exponentially for 5 h, after which the population was 5.4 x 109 cells/ ...Explain how chromosomal islands might move between different bacterial hosts.
Post your question