Comprehensive: Income Statement and Retained Earnings The Houston Manufacturing Company presents the following partial list of account balances, after adjustments,
Comprehensive: Income Statement and Retained Earnings The Houston Manufacturing Company presents the following partial list of account balances, after adjustments, as of December 31, 2007:
The following information is also available but is not reflected in the preceding accounts:
1. The company sold Division E (a component of the company) on August 1, 2007. During 2007, Division E had incurred a pretax loss from operations of $16,000. However, because the acquiring company could vertically integrate Division E into its facilities, the Houston Manufacturing Company was able to recognize a $42,000 pretax gain on the sale.
2. On January 2, 2007, without warning, a foreign country expropriated a factory of Houston Manufacturing Company, which had been operating in that country. As a result of that expropriation, the company has incurred a pretax loss of $30,000.
3. In preparing its 2007 adjusting entries at year-end, the company discovered that it had not recorded $10,100 of depreciation on its office building during 2006. This error did not affect the 2007 depreciation expense.
4. The common stock was outstanding for the entire year. A cash dividend of $1.20 per share was declared and paid in 2007.
5. The 2007 income tax expense totals $28,020 and consists of the following:
Tax expense on income from continuing operations .....$32,250
Tax credit on Division E operating loss .......... (4,800)
Tax expense on gain from sale of Division E ........ 12,600
Tax credit on loss from expropriation ........... (9,000)
Tax credit on 2006 depreciation error ........... (3,030)
1. As supporting documents for Requirement 2, prepare separate supporting schedules for selling expenses and for general and administrative expenses (include depreciation expense where applicable in these schedules).
2. Prepare a 2007 multiple-step income statement for the Houston Manufacturing Company.
3. Prepare a 2007 retained earnings statement.
4. What was Houston Manufacturing Company's return on stockholders' equity for 2007 if its average stockholders' equity during 2007 was $500,000? What is your evaluation of this return on stockholders' equity if its "target" for 2007 was15%?
A dividend is a distribution of a portion of company’s earnings, decided and managed by the company’s board of directors, and paid to the shareholders. Dividends are given on the shares. It is a token reward paid to the shareholders for their...
This problem has been solved!
Step by Step Answer: