On August 1, 2013, Sietens Corporation
had the following account balances:
Raw Material Inventory (both direct and indirect) ..... $ 72,000
Work in Process Inventory .............. 108,000
Finished Goods Inventory .............. 24,000
During August, the following transactions took place:
(1) Raw material was purchased on account, $ 570,000.
(2) Direct material ($121,200) and indirect material ($15,000) were issued to production.
(3) Factory payroll consisted of $ 180,000 for direct labor employees and $ 42,000 for indirect labor employees.
(4) Office salaries totaled $ 144,600 for the month.
(5) Utilities of $ 40,200 were accrued; 70 percent of the utilities cost is for the factory.
(6) Depreciation of $ 60,000 was recorded on plant assets; 80 percent of the depreciation is related to factory machinery and equipment.
(7) Rent of $ 66,000 was paid on the building. The factory occupies 60 percent of the building.
(8) At the end of August, the Work in Process Inventory balance was $ 49,800.
(9) At the end of August, the balance in Finished Goods Inventory was $ 53,400.
uses an actual cost system and debits actual overhead costs incurred to Work in Process Inventory.
a. Determine the total amount of product cost (cost of goods manufactured) and period cost incurred during August 2013.
b. Compute the cost of goods sold for August 2013.