Both Jobs 500 and 501 used $ 1,000 of direct materials. Wages and benefits total $ 25 per direct labor hour. Teahen Products prices its products at 110% of total manufacturing costs.
1. Compute the company's current plantwide overhead rate.
2. Compute refined departmental overhead rates.
3. Which job (Job 500 or Job 501) uses more of the company's resources? Explain.
4. Compute the total amount of overhead allocated to each job if the company uses its current plantwide overhead rate.
5. Compute the total amount of overhead allocated to each job if the company uses depart-mental overhead rates.
6. Do both allocation systems accurately reflect the resources that each job used? Explain.
7. Compute the total manufacturing cost and sales price of each job using the company's current plantwide overhead rate.
8. Based on the current (plantwide) allocation system, how much profit did the company think it earned on each job? Based on the departmental overhead rates and the sales price determined in Requirement 7, how much profit did it really earn on each job?
9. Compare and comment on the results you obtained in Requirements 7 and 8.