1. How has HSBC adapted its global strategy to operate in China, both before and after China’s WTO accession?
2. Discuss HSBC’s strategy for entering and operating in other emerging markets. Where has it found success, and where has it faced setbacks? Why?
3. What are the pros and cons of HSBC’s “Managing for Growth” strategy?
4. How did HSBC withstand the world economic crisis? Was HSBC’s position weakened or strengthened as a result of the crisis? What were the results of HSBC’s group strategy in 2009? What regions were identified as new global opportunities?
5. What is the core of HSBC’s current “Organic Growth Strategy” in China? Why did HSBC decide to expand its financial services in China’s rural areas? What are the pros and cons of rural expansion?