The ledger of Giffin Corporation at December 31, 2015, after the books have been closed, contains the following stockholders’ equity accounts.
Preferred Stock (10,000 shares issued) ............. $1,000,000
Common Stock (400,000 shares issued) ............. 2,000,000
Paid-in Capital in Excess of Par—Preferred Stock ......... 200,000
Paid-in Capital in Excess of Stated Value—Common Stock ..... 1,180,000
Common Stock Dividends Distributable ............ 200,000
Retained Earnings .................... 2,560,000
A review of the accounting records reveals the following.
1. No errors have been made in recording 2015 transactions or in preparing the closing entry for net income.
2. Preferred stock is 6%, $100 par value, noncumulative, and callable at $125. Since January 1, 2014, 10,000 shares have been outstanding; 20,000 shares are authorized.
3. Common stock is no-par with a stated value of $5 per share; 600,000 shares are authorized.
4. The January 1 balance in Retained Earnings was $2,450,000.
5. On October 1, 100,000 shares of common stock were sold for cash at $8 per share.
6. A cash dividend of $500,000 was declared and properly allocated to preferred and common stock on November 1. No dividends were paid to preferred stockholders in 2014.
7. On December 31, a 10% common stock dividend was declared out of retained earnings on common stock when the market price per share was $9.
8. Net income for the year was $970,000.
9. On December 31, 2015, the directors authorized disclosure of a $100,000 restriction of retained earnings for plant expansion. (Use Note A.)
(a) Reproduce the Retained Earnings account (T-account) for 2015.
(b) Prepare a retained earnings statement for 2015.
(c) Prepare a stockholders' equity section at December 31, 2015.
(d) Compute the allocation of the cash dividend to preferred and common stock.