The number of times that a person contracts a cold
The number of times that a person contracts a cold in a given year is a Poisson random variable with parameter λ = 5. Suppose that a new wonder drug (based on large quantities of vitamin C) has just been marketed that reduces the Poisson parameter to λ = 3 for 75 percent of the population. For the other 25 percent of the population, the drug has no appreciable effect on colds. If an individual tries the drug for a year and has 2 colds in that time, how likely is it that the drug is beneficial for him or her?
Membership TRY NOW
  • Access to 800,000+ Textbook Solutions
  • Ask any question from 24/7 available
    Tutors
  • Live Video Consultation with Tutors
  • 50,000+ Answers by Tutors
OR
Relevant Tutors available to help