Various Inventory Issues The following independent situations relate to inventory accounting.
1. Kim Co. purchased goods with a list price of $175,000, subject to trade discounts of 20% and 10%, with no cash discounts allowable. How much should Kim Co. record as the cost of these goods?
2. Keillor Company’s inventory of $1,100,000 at December 31, 2010, was based on a physical count of goods priced at cost and before any year-end adjustments relating to the following items.
a. Goods shipped from a vendor f.o.b. shipping point on December 24, 2010, at an invoice cost of $69,000 to Keillor Company were received on January 4, 2011.
b. The physical count included $29,000 of goods billed to Sakic Corp. f.o.b. shipping point on December 31, 2010. The carrier picked up these goods on January 3, 2011. What amount should Keillor report as inventory on its balance sheet?
3. Zimmerman Corp. had 1,500 units of part M.O. on hand May 1, 2010, costing $21 each. Purchases of part M.O. during May were as follows.
Units Unit Cost
May 9 2,000 $22.00
17 3,500 23.00
26 1,000 24.00
A physical count on May 31, 2010, shows 2,000 units of part M.O. on hand. Using the FIFO method, what is the cost of part M.O. inventory at May 31, 2010? Using the LIFO method, what is the inventory cost? Using the average cost method, what is the inventory cost?
4. Ashbrook Company adopted the dollar-value LIFO method on January 1, 2010 (using internal price indexes and multiple pools). The following data are available for inventory pool A for the 2 years following adoption of LIFO.
At Base- At Current-
Inventory Year Cost Year Cost
1/1/10 $200,000 $200,000
12/31/10 240,000 264,000
12/31/11 256,000 286,720
Computing an internal price index and using the dollar-value LIFO method, at what amount should the inventory be reported at December 31, 2011?
5. Donovan Inc., a retail store chain, had the following information in its general ledger for the year 2011.
Merchandise purchased for resale $909,400
Interest on notes payable to vendors 8,700
Purchase returns 16,500
Cash discounts on purchases 6,800
What is Donovan’s Inventoriable cost for 2010? Answer each of the preceding questions about inventories, and explain your answers.