1. Is this a case of too much dysfunctional conflict and not enough functional conflict? Explain.
2. Which antecedents of conflict are evident in this case? Which one likely caused the most problems? Explain.
3. What lessons about minimizing intergroup conflict (in Figure 13-2) could Whitney Johnson have applied to improve the situation?
4. Which conflict-handling style probably would have worked best for Whitney Johnson? Explain.
5. Would either mediation or arbitration have been appropriate in this case? Explain the process and implications.
6. How might the situation have been different if Johnson and her husband had used the added-value negotiation strategy in Figure 13-6 right from the start? Explain, step by step.