Selected pension information extracted from the retirement benefits note that appeared in Greens 2014 annual report follows. (These numbers have
All employees of Green and employees of certain other subsidiaries are eligible to participate in the companys pension plans. The defined benefit plans provide benefits for participating employees based on years of service and average compensation for a specified period of time before retirement.
The following table provides a reconciliation of the changes in the plans benefit obligations and fair value of assets for the years ended December 31, 2014 and 2013:
The following table provides a statement of funded status of the plans as of December 31, 2014 and 2013:
The following table provides the components of net periodic pension cost for the years ended December 31, 2014, 2013, and 2012:
The following assumptions were used by the Company in the measurement of the benefit obligation as of December 31:
Show supporting computations with clear labels for all calculations.
1. What is the fair value of plan assets as of December 31, 2014?
2. What was the amount of benefit payments distributed to retirees in 2014?
3. Determine the amount of increase (decrease) in the projected benefit obligation (PBO) as a result of amendments to the plan during 2014 and reconcile it to AOCIprior service costs.
4. Determine the amount of the actuarial loss (gain) on the PBO in 2014.
5. What was the effect of increasing the discount rate from 7.00% in 2013 to 8.25% in 2014?
6. Give the journal entries that Green would have made to record the effects of its pension plan for 2014.
7. Verify that the journal entries result in a balance sheet pension asset (liability) that is equal to the December 31, 2014, fundedstatus.
Balance sheet is a statement of the financial position of a business that list all the assets, liabilities, and owner’s equity and shareholder’s equity at a particular point of time. A balance sheet is also called as a “statement of financial...
This problem has been solved!
Step by Step Answer: