An information systems/information technology professional (it is better if the interview subject was recently involved with an
An information systems/information technology professional (it is better if the interview subject was recently involved with an information system implemented in the past 2 years, but this is not required)
- A business professional who was recently involved with a recently implemented information system (If you interview a business professional such as a manager then this individual should have been involved with an information system project implemented in the past 2 years)
Some Themes/questions for your interview
- What type of job does your interview subject do? For whom?
- What projects is he/she currently working on for the organization What projects have he/she recently completed?
- What IT applications has the firm recently implemented?
- Were the most recent applications developed in-house, were they outsourced development or were they application software packages that were customized and purchased?
- How much time does he/she spend in each of the following activities?
- Gathering requirements
- Researching hardware/software options
- Training and developing training materials/user manuals
- Customizing existing software
- Software maintenance
- Other activities?
Even though the actual team based PIR course project will be based upon a very specific and detailed list of questions, the instructor would like you to have think for yourself a bit more during this initial field interview assignment. Moreover, students are encouraged to not only cover these themes but to really try to go somewhat beyond them in delving out a potential target of study that appears feasible for the PIR report. The instructor will be considering this carefully when grading this assignment. The coherence and clarity of the completed assignment will also be assessed.
To get a better idea of what kind of information system would be suitable to study for the post-implementation audit project, please see the overview description for this Post-Implementation Review project. After doing so, you are welcome to pose questions to your instructor for further clarification should you need this.
This initial interview assignment can help you identify a target of study for the post implementation review project. Even if it does not, it will help prepare you for the field research tasks you will perform later as part of the PIR project.
By and large, this is probably why smaller organizations (like local small or medium sized businesses or local community organizations) tend to work better as a target of study for this Post-Implementation Review project. In these organizations, it is simply easier to determine the relevant informants and to gain their trust and willingness to participate.
Before you submit this interview, it should be edited by you into a well-written 2-3-page interview summary – it should not be a bare bones outline or transcript of your interview (though if your interviewee is remarkably articulate, it would be nice for you to quote them). Please ask your instructor for a sample of a good interview summary.