An electrical coil is used to heat 20.0 kg of

An electrical coil is used to heat 20.0 kg of water in a closed well-insulated vessel. The water is initially at 25°C and 1 atm. The coil delivers a steady 2.50 kW of power to the vessel and its contents.

(a) Write a differential energy balance on the water, assuming that 97% of the energy delivered by the coil goes into heating the water. What happens to the other 3%?

(b) Integrate the equation of part (a) to derive an expression for the water temperature as a function of time.

(c) How long will it take for the water to reach the normal boiling point? Will it boil at this temperature? Why not?

Members

  • Access to 2 Million+ Textbook solutions
  • Ask any question from 24/7 available
    Tutors
$9.99
VIEW SOLUTION

OR

Non-Members

Get help from Chemical Engineering Tutors
Ask questions directly from Qualified Online Chemical Engineering Tutors .
Best for online homework assistance.