Ohio Steel produces steel products for a variety of customers. One division of the company is the Garage Door Division,
However, over the past 10 years, divisional growth has been slow; profitability has become stagnant, and few new products have been developed, although the garage door components market has matured. Company president Kendra Lawson has asked her senior staff to evaluate operations of the Garage Door Division and to recommend changes that would improve its operations. The staff uncovered the following facts:
• Tonya Calley, age 53, has been division president for the past 15 years. Her compensation package includes an annual salary of $375,000 plus a cash bonus based on achievement of the budgeted level of annual profit.
• Growth in sales in the residential metal products industry has averaged 12 percent annually over the past decade. Most of the growth has occurred in ornamental products used in residential privacy fencing.
• Nationally, the division's market share in the overall residential metal products industry has dropped from 12 percent to 7 percent during the past 10 years and has dropped from 40 percent to 25 percent for garage door components.
• The division maintains its own information systems, which are essentially the same systems that were in place 15 years ago; however, some of the manual systems have been computerized (e.g., payroll, accounts payable, accounting).
• The division has no customer service department. A small sales staff solicits and takes orders by phone from national distribution chains.
• The major intra-division communication tool is the annual operating budget. No formal statements have been prepared in the division regarding strategies, mission, values, goals and objectives, or identifying core competencies.
Given this information, identify the major problems in the Garage Door Division and develop recommendations to address the problems you have identified.
The word "distribution" has several meanings in the financial world, most of them pertaining to the payment of assets from a fund, account, or individual security to an investor or beneficiary. Retirement account distributions are among the most...
This problem has been solved!
Do you need an answer to a question different from the above? Ask your question!
Step by Step Answer:
Chapter # 12
Create a free account to access the answer
Cannot find your solution?
Post a FREE question now and get an answer within minutes. * Average response time.
Question Posted: July 17, 2012 06:13:49