1. One of the basic services of an operating system is loading, managing and executing programs. Why...
1. One of the basic services of an operating system is loading, managing and executing programs. Why do you need an operating system for this purpose?
2. What are the file management services offered by a general operating system?
3. An operating system may consist of a memory resident part and memory non-resident part. What is the main difference between these two parts? Why some components should be memory resident?
4. Give examples for GUI and CLI operating systems
5. What is the difference between a process and thread?
6. Five programs are concurrently running on a 2.5 GHz processor sharing CPU time equally.
i. What is the cycle time of this processor
ii. If one quantum is five clock cycles how long would the CPU allow one program to execute continuously?
iii. Hence how long a program should wait to use the CPU again after completing an allocated quantum?
- 6.What is the kernel of an operating system?
- 7. Briefly explain the architectures of monolithic, hierarchical and microkernel operating systems
- What operating system functions would you expect to find in the computer that is built in to control your automobile, and which functions would be omitted? Justify your answer.
- Based on the system status report shown in below figure, describe some of the ways in which the system could be tailored, and explain how the various items in the report would influence your tailoring decisions.